Learning Intentions: (Science)
- Students investigate properties of materials
I Can:
- Sort various materials as being natural or processed
- Identify properties of natural and processed materials
- Measure various materials
- Represent the life cycles of various plants and animals
- Make and record observations, collect data and compare with others
Thank you again to all of our grade 2 families who donated pumpkins for our science investigation this week...we appreciated your generosity and had lots of fun looking closely at the properties of the different pumpkins!
We took a minute to talk about the terms 'natural' and 'processed' and played a little game of 'I Spy" around the room. Students were quick to point out lots of processed materials such as pencils, dice, chairs, and tables. And found many different natural materials in our room as well, such as the bamboo plant and our favourite little lizard, Echo! We did get a little stumped by the orchid plant...turns out it's a "really real looking fake plant!"
Next we watched a video about the life cycle of a pumpkin and recorded our findings in our visual journals.
- "I didn't know that there are 5 stages in the life cycle of a pumpkin!"
- "I learned that one of the stages is a flowering vine."
- "I didn't know that it has male and female flowers."
- "I was surprised to find out that pumpkins are actually green before they turn orange!"
- "Now I know that when the vine turns brown it means the pumpkins are ready to pick!"
- "It takes 10 days for the seed to turn into and sprout and 45 days for a pumpkin to be totally ready to pick!"
- "Bigger pumpkins usually have more seeds in them than smaller pumpkins."
- size
- colour
- weight (mass)
- texture
- shape













