February 3rd - 7th

 


Learning Intention: ELAL - Writing
- Students create and enhance ideas and information by applying a variety of writing processes.

I Can:
- Ask questions to focus research questions
- Gather factual information on topics from various sources
- Use organizational tools to record or categorize information
- Record factual information through messages that include images, words and sentences

We have been working very hard on researching and learning about some of our amazing Canadian wildlife! 


Next we decided on which animal we wanted to learn more about and then started our research journey. There were 'mild and medium spice level' pages to read and gather information from about our animals. We used a planning page and recorded jot notes on sticky notes as we continued to learn more and more interesting facts about our animals. 
We were specifically looking for information about the animals habitat, diet, life cycle, appearance, interesting facts as well as Indigenous cultural connections.



Once we had gathered information for each of the headings we began working on our brochure. We worked on transferring our jot notes into sentences for each heading and added detailed pictures to help further show our understanding as well as enhance our work. We co-created a criteria that we used to refer back to as we worked, to make sure we were on track!






Check out the work we have documented so far...




We also had a very special guest, Mr. Jeff Stockton!  Thank you to our School Council for supporting our learning by funding this opportunity. 
    • I can listen to oral stories and share my thoughts about them.
    • I can retell a story I heard, including important details and events.
    • I can ask questions about a story to understand it better.
    • I can identify the main idea and key details in a story.
    • I can describe the characters, setting, and plot of a story.
We heard a story called, Brave Margaret. 
Ask your child to retell the story to you!


You can check out some more of Jeff's stories and beautiful harp playing here - https://www.jeffstockton.ca/