What a Magical start we have had to the year!
This week we talked about the 'yets' we are ready to take on and tackle!
Grade 2 Learning Intentions:
ELAL
- Comprehension: Text comprehension is supported by applying varied strategies and processes and by considering both particular contexts and universal themes
Wellness
- Character Development: Exploration of life opportunities and virtues develops resilience and personal talents and promotes lifelong learning
I Can:
- summarize a text, including the main idea and key ideas (ELAL)
- practise a variety of self-regulation strategies (Wellness)
The Magical Yet, by Angela DiTerlizzi, is this year's school-wide anchor text. Before reading the story, we used the 'See...Think...Wonder' strategy to observe, interpret and inquire about the book -
- " I see that it says - discover how good you can get, now introducing... at the very top and then the title is bigger and it says, The Magical Yet!"
- " I notice she has her hands on something - I think it might be a lawn mower because my dad holds the lawn mower exactly like that when he is mowing the lawn."
- "I think she is riding a bike because I can see a wheel and she is wearing a helmet."
- "I notice that she looks like she is enjoying the nature all around her while she is on her bike because she is smiling and I think when they say the magical yet it's because you don't know what is going to happen on the bike ride yet."
- "I notice there is a pink thing on her helmet that might be magical and I wonder if it is going to help her in the story."
- "I think Magical yet means that you can't do something yet."
After reading the book we talked about how when things are hard for us and we might not be able to something 'yet', if we practice and persevere we will eventually 'get' it and meet our goals.
The book inspired us to make our own Magical Yets to encourage us to keep going when things get a little challenging and tough!
*********************************************************
Grade 2 Learning Intentions:
Math
- Patterns: Awareness of patterns supports problem solving in various situations
I Can:
- create and express a repeating patter with a pattern core of up to four elements that change by more than one attribute (Math)
In math, we reviewed repeating patterns and pattern cores, and students learned about attributes.
What a wonderful first week in grade 2 - it is going to be a fabulous year!!!




